Monday, November 13, 2006

Opening the mail

I must now confess: notwithstanding the extensive practice I have had, I am still terrible at opening envelopes. Now, this doesn't seem to be a very remarkable defect, but when I cannot open an envelope without tearing it in half (or at least taking a good chunk off the stamp's corner), I say to myself... "why can't you just open an envelope like a normal person?"

On to the contents of these envelopes. I received another letter from Princeton today, saying that "the University prizes intellectual curiosity, creativity, and independent thinking." Very nice. They also have a professor there named Peter Singer. And they're on the coast. So I still say no.

Stony Brook also sent me a big brochure (big as in oversized - as thickness goes, it's only a fold-over thing) with another letter. And I got a very large postcard from a college in Michigan that I'm considering attending proclaiming its website.

6 replies:

Lady 5:05 PM  

is michigan the only place you're considering?

(pardon me if i've missed something, i only skimmed through..)

you remind me of my valedictorian. he got a score somewhere in the 1500s and was snapped up by harvard. somehow i doubt the same will happen to you.

readersis 5:22 PM  

no, but the one college in Michigan is the one that I got the best mail from. I'm also considering ones in Indiana, Ohio, and Pennsylvania... basically, they have to have an appealing journalism program and they can't be more than, say, a four-hour's drive from home. So, yeah... no Ivy League for me.

Lady 12:31 AM  

good luck. if you need help flipping a coin, let me know. i'd be happy to call heads or tails for you. i will say being close to home is very nice. it means your parents can send you everything you forgot, and if you get really sick of school you can just go home for the weekend.

readersis 5:58 PM  

Yeah, that's the nice thing about the Ohio college - it's definitely the closest of them all. I do want to get a challenging program though - one of the reasons I'm looking at private ones in the first place.

Lady 12:29 AM  

oh come on, challenging is way more fun that not challenging! and besides, someone like you? you'll be bored if you don't have challenging. ;p

readersis 3:21 PM  

exactly! So I tend to go after those colleges that deliver a good program.